Skip to Content

The information on this page relates specifically to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and carers. This includes:

  • foster carers
  • relative/kin carers
  • short term carers
  • emergency carers
  • respite carers

Information about how to look after yourself and kids in care.

Mandatory face masks

In Greater Sydney (including Wollongong, Central Coast and Blue Mountains) face masks are mandatory in the following indoor settings:

  • shopping (retail, supermarkets and shopping centres)
  • on public/shared transport and waiting areas for public/shared transport
  • indoor entertainment (including cinemas and theatres)
  • places of worship
  • hair and beauty premises
  • visiting an aged care facility
  • for all staff in hospitality venues, gaming areas in licensed premises (including casinos) and for patrons using gaming services.

Compliance will start from Monday 4 January 2021 with $200 on the spot fines for individuals for non-compliance.

Children under 12 are exempt but are encouraged to wear masks where practicable.

Learn more about the rules for wearing face masks in Greater Sydney and the Northern Beaches.

If you or your family require support to get masks, please reach out to your caseworker or your local CSC.

Alternatively, the NSW Health web site shows you how to make your own reusable mask in six steps from materials which are readily available.

New restrictions for December 2020

New restrictions are in place for Greater Sydney, Central Coast and Wollongong.

Please visit the NSW Government COVID-19 page for the latest information on restrictions, including for the Northern Beaches.

Family time, home visits, case planning and specialist visits

  • What family time and home visits can happen over the holiday period now that we have the new outbreak?

Family time visits are especially important this week so it will depend on where the contact is taking place and where families have been in the last two weeks.

Please note that family homes have limits for people visiting during this time. Note the Northern Beaches and Greater Sydney, Central Coast and Wollongong restrictions.

All face-to-face family visits should continue where it is safe to do so. But you can have virtual visits if it is needed, to keep you, the children, and the children’s family safe.

Caseworkers will be checking with your family and the child’s family before any visits to ask COVID screening questions. If they cannot reach either family by phone they will ask COVID screening questions before entering the home. Caseworkers are using these guidelines to check with families beforehand.

If families live in other parts of greater Sydney and they haven't been to any of the hot spots, caseworkers will encouraging them to:

  • maintain physical distancing as much as possible
  • wash hands and use hand sanitiser

Please note that Schedule 1 of the  Northern Beaches Public Health Order lists additional reasonable excuses for not being at home. These include taking care of legal obligations and care arrangements for children.

Carers and children who feel unwell or are in high risk groups

Family time, home visits, case planning and specialist visits

Talking to children about Coronavirus and reducing risk

Schooling, child care and learning

Food relief during the COVID-19 pandemic


Financial support, shopping and interstate travel

Children and families returning to NSW

Carers and children who feel unwell or are in high risk groups

Where do I go for the latest information?

The best source of information is the NSW Government website

They have information about:

  • the latest changes to restrictions
  • schooling
  • what the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is
  • what symptoms to look out for
  • what to do if you feel unwell

You can contact the National Coronavirus Health Information line 1800 020 080.

What are my responsibilities when the child in my care is unwell?

As a carer, you’re one of the most important people in your child’s life.

Continue to provide a safe and caring environment for the child if they are unwell.

Follow the advice of your medical professional about self-isolation, and the process to be followed in informing people who may have been in close contact.

Do not send unwell children to school, even if their symptoms are only mild.

More information about self-isolation and what to do if you are unwell visit the NSW Health website

What do I do as a carer if I feel unwell?

If you feel unwell, check whether:

  • ­ your symptoms match those identified by NSW Health for Coronavirus
  • ­ you meet the criteria for self-isolation identified by NSW Health.

You can find the latest information at

Contact the National Coronavirus Health Information line 1800 020 080 or follow the advice of your medical professional. Continue caring for your child if you’re well enough to do so and the child will be safe.

Talk to your caseworker or agency if you need significant assistance with caring because you are unwell. Carers should tell their caseworker about anyone who has regular contact with the child and may be able to assist with providing care.

The person may need a Working With Children Check (WWCC), if they are caring for the child for a longer period of time, or if they assist in a regular and planned way,  even if they are a partner or family member.

If you don’t have a trusted family member, friend or other person to care for the child while you can’t, your agency will need to organise someone to look after them.

What if I have Coronavirus symptoms, need to self-isolate, or feel too sick to care for the child in my care?

Call 000 immediately if you are seriously unwell; otherwise consult with a medical practitioner and/or contact the National Coronavirus Health Information line 1800 020 080.

Contact your caseworker or agency if you need to self-isolate.

Follow the home isolation guidance provided by NSW Health.

Talk to your caseworker or agency if you need significant child care because you are unwell (e.g. if you need to go to hospital). Carers should tell their caseworker about anyone who has regular contact with the child in their care.

I’m Aboriginal, over 50. Should I still be caring for children? I’m over 60 with existing health conditions. Should I still be caring for children? I’m over 70. Should I still be caring for children?

Yes, if you feel able to. Talk to your caseworker about your worries and what supports you may need, including help with using technology. Take extra precautions.

Even though restrictions are easing, people aged over 70 years; people over 60 who have existing health conditions; and indigenous Australians over the age of 50 with existing health conditions should stay at home and away from other people as much as possible.

The NSW Government is announcing changes to restrictions regularly. Keep up-to-date with the latest announcements on the NSW Government website.

If you are not able to stay at home and away from others you should be:

  • limiting the number of people who come to your house
  • limiting the number of people who you visit
  • as far as practical, staying 1.5 metres away from anyone who does come to your home or for any home you visit (such as a caseworker or family member)
  • online shopping or getting someone to go shopping for you if possible (see advice about shopping).

If you are visiting someone, or receiving visitors, make sure you take e E xtra precautions.These include:

  • making sure everyone in the home that you are visiting are healthy and do not have any cold or flu-like symptoms
  • only visiting others if you and everyone in the home are healthy don’t have any cold or flu-like symptoms
  • washing hands for 20 seconds as soon as you arrive at someone’s home
  • asking visitors to wash their hands for 20 seconds as soon as they enter your home
  • staying 1.5 metres away from anyone who you do not live with.

Family time, home visits, case planning and specialist visits

How can family and friends help with children I am caring for?

If it’s for a short time, a family member or a friend can help in your home.

If friends or family are going to be helping on a regular basis, they will need a Working With Children Check. Talk to your caseworker about this let them know that you need extra assistance.

If for some reason you aren’t able to care for children and you know a family member or friend who has a relationship with the child and could help, talk to your caseworker.

What about home visits from my caseworker or case manager?

Agencies are encouraged to consider home visits, taking into account health concerns and the best interests of the child.

Caseworkers will be assessing all the risk factors, including your health, before visiting your home. In many cases, where there is someone with a health issue in your home, caseworkers will use alternatives, such as FaceTime and telephone calls.

Caseworkers will be taking extra precautions to keep the children and you safe and healthy.

All decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis, considering the safety and best interests of children, carers and families.

If they need to visit you in person, you should expect them to:

  • call beforehand to check if anyone in your house is unwell
  • keep their distance
  • try to make the visit outside if possible
  • wash their hands thoroughly before and after visiting you
  • not to come if they are unwell or have been in contact with someone with Coronavirus.

If the visits are made via video-call your caseworker should:

  • make sure you have the technology to support a video-call
  • help you with how this technology works including having a practice call if needed
  • both of you and the caseworker should be on video
  • talk to you separately
  • talk to the child or young person separately.

Can I meet parents, caseworkers or other people outside? What if there is more than two of us?

Yes. Meeting outside is encouraged, where this is possible.

What do the new rules about social gatherings mean for me?

Rules in NSW are changing on a regular basis. Stay up-to-date by checking the NSW Government website.

What do I do about family time (contact)?

Family time (contact) is important for children and their families.

Face-to-face family time may start to increase for many children.

For some children, alternatives such as FaceTime, other video calls, telephone calls and letters will continue as the main type of family time, particularly if someone is unwell.

In most cases of restoration and court ordered contact, face-to-face time should continue.

We encourage you to talk with your caseworker about options for family time and to discuss any worries you may have including any strategies or solutions to support everyone.

What about case planning?

Case planning is important and should continue. However, case planning should not be happening face-to-face. These meetings can be done through individual telephone calls, FaceTime/Skype or other video call. As with usual case planning, all the important people in a child’s life should have the chance to express their views.

What about specialist appointments?

Talk to your medical professional about whether your appointment is essential and how it can be best take place.

Talking to children about Coronavirus and reducing risk

Should I talk to the child in my care about Coronavirus?


It is perfectly normal for children to have questions about the Coronavirus. Children will look to you and other adults on how to manage their reactions.

It’s ok to talk to them about Coronavirus. A calm, reassuring conversation will actually help. Speak in words they understand. Listen and answer their questions as honestly as possible and correct any misunderstandings. This will help them feel informed and understand what is happening. Keep up to date with the facts from reliable sources such as the NSW Health website.

Information about talking to children about Coronavirus.

How can I help children to feel calm?

Children are likely to have questions about their birth family and why, in some situations, they can’t see them face-to-face because of the Coronavirus. Help them understand that it is just a precaution to help stop the risk of the Coronavirus spreading. It’s not because they or their family are sick or have done anything wrong. Help them connect in other ways. Let them know it won’t be forever. When things calm down and the risk is over they will be able to see family members face-to-face again.

Children can be distressed by hearing repeated stories so monitor how much children are being exposed to television and social media and encourage them to talk to you about what they are seeing and hearing.

How do I reduce the risk of contracting or spreading Coronavirus?

There are some simple steps you and the child in your care can take to protect yourself: Encourage them to:

  • regularly clean their hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based sanitiser with at least 60% alcohol.
  • cough or sneeze into their elbow, or cover with a tissue
  • avoid close contact with people who are ill
  • avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth
  • stay home if they are sick.

Schooling, child care and learning

Can my child attend camps and other school activities?

Children who attend government schools are able to participate in school camps and excursions.

Read the latest advice to schools from the NSW Department of Education. You can also find more detailed advice for families regarding these activities.

Children can now attend non-school overnight camps and other activities.

However, you should check that accommodation facilities and overnight event organisers have a COVID-19 safety plan in place. You can read the safety guidance about this from the NSW Government.

Remember to continue following NSW Health guidelines about minimising the risk of COVID-19 in our school communities.

If children in your care attend a Catholic or Independent school, please contact the school directly for advice on what activities will be allowed.

I am concerned about my health or the health of the children. Do I have to send them to school?

All children in public schools should attend school unless:

  • they have a medical certificate which states they are unable to return to school due to an ongoing medical condition
  • they are currently unwell.

Children who have a family member in a high risk group should also attend school unless they have a letter from a doctor saying they shouldn’t attend school.

If you are worried about your children returning to school, talk to your caseworker and the school principal.

What if I have a problem with the school?

If you are worried about a decision by a school contact your caseworker for support.

Food relief during the COVID-19 pandemic

Who can I contact if I need help providing food for me and my family?

You should contact your caseworker or service provider. They can provide more detailed information about local services available in your area. They can help make arrangements or put you in contact with organisations directly.

If you are told to self-isolate and require emergency food relief, Service NSW can also provide you with assistance.

Where can I find information about local food services in my area?

The following websites can help:

Ask Izzy

Ask Izzy can help you find food and other services you need.  Please follow the link to Ask Izzy for more information, including support services that can assist you.

Human Services Network (HSNet)

HSNet is an online platform supported by Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ). It can help you find essential services in NSW, including food relief. Visit the HSNet website to search for services in your area.

We recommend you call or email services to check that they are operating as normal before visiting in person.

Are charities or charity groups providing food assistance?

Yes. A range of charities in NSW are providing emergency food relief and access to food services.

We recommend you call or email before visiting services in person. This will ensure they are still open and running as normal.


Anglicare can provide immediate assistance, including food parcels, through the Sydney and Illawarra area. They also have Mobile Community Pantries that can help with low-cost food. To find more information about Anglicare’s food and financial assistance near you, visit the Anglicare website or call 1300 111 278.

St Vincent de Paul

St Vincent de Paul can provide hot meals, meal vouchers and food hampers to anyone who is in need in each Australian capital city and many regional centres. For more information, visit the St Vincent de Paul website or call 13 18 12.

You can find more charities that provide emergency food relief, counselling and other support by contacting Service NSW.

If I’m told to self-isolate, how do I access groceries and other necessities?

If you’ve been told to self-isolate, you should first contact your caseworker and service provider to ask for help. You can also reach out to family or friends to help you with shopping and other necessities.

If you do not have family or friends who can help you, you may be eligible for an emergency relief package organised by the NSW Government and Foodbank. The emergency relief package is also available for households in regional and remote areas.

The package contains two weeks of food and personal care items such as pasta, long life milk, canned vegetables and toilet paper.

For more information, please call Service NSW on 13 77 88.

Can supermarkets help me access food?

Many supermarkets have introduced special community hours for vulnerable customers to access their stores. This is aimed at seniors, people with disabilities, and emergency services and healthcare workers.

Some supermarkets are also providing a priority delivery service for those who are not able to get to a store.

Please visit the Woolworths, Coles and IGA websites for information on special community hours, who is eligible for support and how to apply for priority delivery.

For more information about other supermarket initiatives, please visit Service NSW.

What food relief options are available specifically for Aboriginal people and communities?

The NSW Aboriginal Land Council (NSWALC) is providing food and hygiene item relief packages to Aboriginal communities affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. This initiative is primarily for people over 60 years of age. Please register to receive a food relief package by 5pm Friday 1 May (AEST).

Visit the NSWALC website for more information about the NSWALC Food Relief Program and other ways that the NSWALC are responding to COVID-19 in Aboriginal communities.

Where can I find more information?

If you have specific questions about the COVID-19 pandemic and accessing food relief, contact your service provider or email DCJ at

Alternatively, see the Service NSW COVID-19 webpage or call 13 77 88.


I need respite – what should I do?

We understand how stressful it is for carers and their families at the moment.

It’s OK for someone you know to help you care for the child if it’s for a short time.

As far as possible, regular, planned respite from another carer should continue, as this is part of a child’s normal routine.

Talk to your caseworker if you can’t get the respite you and the child need. They might be able to organise additional support for you.

I am a respite carer, should I continue to care for children?

Yes, especially if it is regular respite you provide for children you know.

If you are in an at-risk group, you should speak with your doctor and caseworker about the best option in your situation.

If you are unwell with cold, flu or coronavirus like symptoms or have recently been in touch with someone with coronavirus you should seek medical advice and contact the caseworker as respite may need to wait until you are well.

Financial support, shopping and interstate travel

Can I get extra money to help with the additional costs I have now?

Generally, the Australian Government is responsible for providing financial assistance to families. There have been a number of recent announcements about changes to allowances. Please contact Centrelink for more information about allowances or visit the Australian Government website for information about of the different types of help available.

If you have a particular need for the children in your care talk to your caseworker about your circumstances.

How should I shop if I’m self-isolating?

If possible, ask someone else to shop for you. Get them to wash their hands before they go to the shops and afterwards.

Try online shopping, or get someone else to do the online shopping for you.

If you are the only one who can shop then follow these rules:

  • Stay 1.5 metres away from other shoppers wherever possible
  • Wash hands before and after shopping.
  • Wear a mask when you’re in a space and can’t stay 1.5 metres apart from others.
  • Don’t go often (e.g try only once a week).

What about interstate travel?

There are restrictions to interstate travel for people in NSW. Different states have different rules which you can link to from here.

For many people from NSW, any travel to another state is likely to mean you will have to quarantine.

Any interstate travel needs approval from your agency, who will also seek approval from DCJ.

If you want to arrange for a child to travel across Australian borders, speak to your agency or DCJ contact. They will seek authorisation on your behalf.

For travel to NZ or any other country, a more stringent authorisation process is needed. Again, speak to your agency or DCJ contact so they can seek authorisation on your behalf.

What financial supports are in place for me to support my family and household?

There are a range of government payments and initiatives to help you support your family and household during this difficult time.

  • Immediate income assistance – Information for those who have recently lost their job. This includes accessing Centrelink, making a claim for a JobSeeker payment and accessing the coronavirus supplement payment.
  • JobKeeper – A payment to help employers affected by COVID-19 to keep paying their workers. Speak with your employer about whether you’re eligible to claim the JobKeeper payment.
  • Financial support for individuals and households - Information about income support for individuals, stimulus payments for households, JobKeeper payments, accessing superannuation and support for retirees.

Where can I find information about other services to support me and my family?

The Service NSW website provides important advice, information and government updates about the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes:

  • Australian Government payments and support
  • immediate income assistance
  • emergency relief packages
  • finding vacation care providers
  • residential tenancy support packages
  • financial support for individuals and households
  • changes to transactions due to COVID-19
  • counselling and support
  • cost of living support
  • supermarket initiatives.

We encourage you to access services online or to call Service NSW on 13 77 88.

Children and families returning to NSW

Other Australian states and territories have updated their border requirements and information regarding travellers from NSW.

Please visit the website of your destination state or territory for more information.

If you are a border community resident, please check the information from the governments for your cross-border region.

Find out more on the NSW Government website.

Can I still visit Victoria if I have already made travel plans?

All non-essential travel to Victoria should be avoided.

In most circumstances you won’t be given permission to travel to Victoria.

Can a child, carer or family member travel across the border for family time or other contact arrangements?

Children, carers or family members are eligible to apply for a border entry permit if they are:

  • entering for child access and care arrangements
  • applying on compassionate grounds.

If applying on compassionate grounds, individuals will first need to apply to NSW Health for a Compassionate permit exemption code before applying for a border entry permit.

Find out more on the Service NSW website.

I have to travel across the border regularly. Will I have to self-isolate for 14 days every time I return to NSW?

Temporary border restrictions between NSW and Victoria continue. However there has been a change to the border entry exemptions process for the NSW-Victoria border.

You can request an exemption to NSW-Victoria border restrictions through Service NSW and submit your application via the NSW Health online portal.

The exemption application process applies to:

  • any border region resident (NSW side) who needs to re-enter NSW after travelling further into Victoria than the border region
  • anyone who requires an exemption from mandatory hotel quarantine and/or re-entering via Sydney airport

All other border exemptions remain in place.

Conditions of entry, including self-isolation requirements will be outlined on your border entry permit.

If you are a border community resident, you will not be required to self-isolate if you have only travelled within the border community in which you reside.

Find out more on the NSW Government website.

Was this content useful?
Last updated: 24 Feb 2021