Courts, tribunals and jury service
On this page
- Current restrictions on attending courts and tribunals
- Further measures at NSW Courts and Tribunals
- Jury Service
- Legal support
Court services and processes are changing to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. Specific measures are in place at courts and tribunals to reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19.
Current restrictions on attending courts and tribunals
Courts and tribunals have measures in place to conduct proceedings without the need for attending where possible.
You do not need to attend a Court or Tribunal unless you:
- are a party to a court or tribunal matter and no other arrangements are in place to conduct proceedings remotely
- are a juror already empanelled for ongoing trials (see below for further information)
- require face-to-face services of the registry and no other arrangements are in place to enable this remotely
- are a representative of a news-media organisation with a legitimate reason for attending court.
Do not attend a court or tribunal if you:
- have had contact with a diagnosed, suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- you are feeling unwell and have any of the following symptoms:
- sore throat
- shortness of breath.
Registrars and Sheriff’s officers may deny entry or request any person to leave a building. You must follow the directions of Registrars and Sheriff's officers.
Further information is provided on this page and in the links below.
Court and tribunal enquiries
You can find further information below, including contact details for specific courts.
Further measures at NSW Courts and Tribunals
The health and wellbeing of all court and tribunal users is the paramount consideration for NSW Courts and Tribunals. Measures and precautions are being taken to minimise the risk of transmission of COVID-19.
Access is restricted to certain people and where possible proceedings will be conducted remotely or online.
The measures and arrangements in place may differ for NSW courts and tribunals. Further information on the arrangements in place can be found on the relevant courts and tribunals websites, or by contacting the court or tribunal directly. Follow the links below to find out more:
- Children's Court
- Coroners Court
- District Court
- Drug Court
- Dust Diseases Tribunal
- Industrial Relations Commission
- Land and Environment Court
- Local Court
- NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)
- Supreme Court
Jurors and jury trials
New jury trials in the Greater Sydney region have been temporarily suspended in the District and Supreme Courts. Current trials, where a jury has already been selected and empanelled, will continue.
Please note special arrangements for current jury trials at the Downing Centre on Monday 28th June 2021. Please see the District Court website for further information.
New Jury trials will proceed as usual in other areas of New South Wales.
If you have received a summons for jury service and need further information, contact the juror information line on 1300 780 199 or visit www.juror.nsw.gov.au.
For useful information or legal support, visit the Legal services and support page.